Monday 5 August 2013

Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Coireachean with Sgurr Beag wild camp

I hadn't been down the far end of Loch Arkaig but I had agreed to meet Darren at a specified grid reference as we would be leaving at different times. Prior to the jaunt over to Sgurr Beag, I had taken in the two Corbetts as described in my Corbett blog. After the descent off Sgurr na Cos-Breachd laoigh, my legs were cramped beyond belief. The descent and ascent over An Eag was painful and I was aware that my pace was very slow. I descended once again to the bealach below Sgurr Beag and took some refreshments, while spying on a heard of deer who watched suspiciously. The final ascent on to Sgurr Beag was helped enormously by the zig-zag path and never have I been so happy to dump my stuff and sit down at the summit. I found an excellent pitch which was flat and slightly mossy. The view over to Sgurr Mor was nice but it wouldn't prepare me for the sunrise the next day. Darren arrived about 30 minutes later and we both got stuck into some food before the obligatory uisge beath was poured. It had been 15 months since our Skye trip and a lot had happened. We decided that we'd hit the sack by 2230 and rise at 0430 for the sunrise experience. I had a fabulous sleep and my awakening the next day was a magical experience with one of the best sunrises I had witnessed. The photos do the moment justice. We dropped down and climbed back up on to Sgurr Mor, a behemoth of a Munro and only appreciated its large coire face when heading over to Sgurr Fhurain. This was a great Corbetts and afforded great views over to Fraoch Bheinn. We returned back to the tents and already, I was beginning to flag. I told Daz to crack on and he shot off at speed. He would do the entire ridge to the last Munro but my trip ended at the summit of Coireachean as the previous day's efforts took their toll. I dropped down South and began the fairly tortuous descent back to the path in Glen Dessary. From here, it was a painful walk back to the car but 2 Munros and 3 Corbetts was a decent haul. That sunrise experience made up for it all though.

No comments: